Thinking of starting a pool fitness program in 2012? Great idea! Water workouts offer many benefits, including excellent calorie-burning from water resistance with minimal impact to bones and joints. Here are some tips on starting a pool fitness program.
- Too cold to exercise in your backyard pool? Head to the gym or a fitness center with an indoor pool. You can start your pool fitness program now and make use of the convenience of your own pool once the weather warms up.
- Start slowly; even though water workouts are easier on the joints than most others, you can still injure yourself. For the first several weeks, do slightly less than you think you can.
- Swimming is great exercise, but there’s more to pool fitness than swimming. If you vary the types of exercises you perform, you’ll work out more muscle groups, and you’re less likely to get bored and abandon your workouts. Try resistance exercises with a pool noodle or aquatic weights, using an aqua fitness jog belt while you walk or run in the pool, or even cycling on an aquatic fitness bike.
- Involve the family in your pool fitness program. Play an energetic game of pool basketball or volleyball or challenge them to compete in a diving sticks game. Your pool workouts can double as quality family time while teaching your children that exercise can be fun.
- Always keep pool safety in mind while working out. It’s important to challenge yourself, but don’t overdo it. If you feel too hot or too cold, dizzy or nauseated, or suddenly fatigued, get out of the pool immediately. Drink plenty of water before and after your workout.
- Invest in a pool heater and/or solar pool cover so you can move your pool fitness program to your own pool earlier in the season. The rest of your family will benefit too because they get more time, exercise, and fun in the pool each season.
- Consult with a physician before beginning this or any other exercise program.
Exercising in the water provides many health benefits, including an improved fitness level, increased energy, and stress reduction. You’ll see the benefits of your pool fitness program before you know it!